Tintagel

Tintagel

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Spinach, Swimming and Volcanos

Weekends with Henry are evolving.  As is Henry.  As am I.  And as is our bond.

He is such a joy, teaching me all the time not only about himself, but also about myself and about...well, teaching itself.

It is all I can do to relate back the events of the weekend.

~

Friday

Henry enjoyed spaghetti & meatballs and all that "movie & video games night" had to offer.

After reading a chapter of Alice in Wonderland (watch this space for "Beautiful Soup"), Henry was in a bold mood and asked to sleep in his bedroom instead of with me on my bed.  

So we switched it up.  Pretty quickly he changed his mind and wanted me off of the floor and lying next him singing a song, but the pattern is set now that he sleeps in his room until I go to bed.  I am to then pick him up so that he can wake up next me.  Ok!  It's the start of a transition and it feels good for both of us.

Saturday

A rainy morning.  Made coffee & puttered while Henry played video games.  To peel the boy away from the screen without fuss, he had a plaster volcano to paint so that we could "explode" it later.


Then it was sword-fight time.  Henry tried out his Optimus Prime sword (Halloween costume) and I was the bad buy improvising with whatever weapon I could get my hands on.  Somehow, he always managed to stab me and take away my weapon.  

Someone (brilliant) at work had seen the sword delivered and suggested that it could make lava spring up from the ground.  So of course I told Henry, and we then had to go to the park for testing.





At the same time, Henry tried out his new cleats as his first soccer practice would be on Monday.  He loved them and can run and kick with even greater speed and strength.

We then departed for some errands:  went to open a bank account for Henry, sampled and purchased items from the cheese shop, bought bakery treats, lunch, groceries, a newspaper and a comic book.  As we walked, Henry asked me:

Henry:    What's the opposite of spinach?

Elisabeth:  pause   Vanilla?

Henry:  No.  Macaroni and cheese!

~

After the errands, we settled back for a bit at the apartment before going swimming.

Henry loves the pool and since we last visited he has grown significantly and can easily touch the bottom of the pool even when wearing water wings.  

Tired and wet, we returned home and had some more downtime.  After that, it was volcano-exploding time!  





Not quite finished the activities for the day, we headed up to church for family movie night, where there was to be pizza and a screening of Narnia.  Henry made it a decent amount of the way through before asking to leave as he was too scared.  Fair enough, Tilda Swinton is pretty menacing at the best of times.


Sunday

Henry woke up at 5:30am.  Sigh.  But since we were up early, and since my friend had sent me a tip that Venus and Jupiter were esp. visible just before dawn when looking east...and the sky was clear...Henry was game and we threw on some clothes and crossed the street to Woodbine park.  

can you spot the planets?

The planets were shining brilliantly and Henry could even confirm the planets' names with the Sky View app.  It was all very cool and a great way to start the day.

After breakfast, we left the apartment extra early to ensure we made it to choir practice on-time.  Henry again was a server and got to process with a candle and wear a red cassock.  

In the afternoon we had a lovely bike ride to the park to play more soccer, this time with Henry trying out both the cleats and the shin-guards.  It was I who needed the shin-guards.  


Then we decorated some Halloween cookies, ate quiche, exploded the volcano again, played Connect 4, read more Alice in Wonderland and pretty much both crawled into our separate beds exhausted.







~

And so with such a weekend blow-out, I don't mind the evenings so much when Henry is with his dad.  I need to catch up on chores and sleep!  

And with that, stay tuned for Halloween!

EXTRA PICS




2 comments: